Firebug by Lish McBride

Firebug - Lish McBride

I've enjoyed Lish McBride's writing and sense of humor, so naturally when I had a chance to read this book I jumped at it. I was not disappointed. She writes her characters well and there was no exception to that rule in this book. I loved all the characters except Venus. However, I'd have to be some nut to like her. :)

I have to admit I wasn't sure I would like the plot. Ava has been "hired" (more like conscripted) into a mafia like magical fairy hierarchy in which she plays the assassin. I wasn't sure of this plot until Ava rebels when put on the spot to assassinate a family friend. She is extremely protective of her made family. This really tightened up the relationships and my worry about how they would get out of their predicament. I still ended up with a couple of questions about the plot, but nothing at all to douse my enjoyment of the book.

I give this book 4 stars. Those that love a good romance within the pages might be disappointed but be aware that there is so much potential. I recommend this book to those who love snark, humor and YA UF.