Virals

Virals - Kathy Reichs I have to admit something. I rarely watch the show Bones. For some reason I don't often catch it. I do get occasional updates because my mom is a huge fan and often likes to talk about it. So, I do know a bit of something about the show. Okay, now that the confession is over, I can get on to the review.

The book seems to start out as a sci-fi or perhaps paranormal novel, but quickly resolves into a full blown cold case murder mystery complete with a designer virus. It's also a novel that shows the incredible friendship of a buch of "nerds". Kids stuck on a small island together that all have intense inquisitiveness and brains at their disposal. Tory is the only female in the group, but also a bit of a leader as well. Even though all have input, she seems to have most of the influence over the group. It's her insistence and scientific curiosity that keeps the group moving to the truth.

The story gives you several twists and some of the answers are a bit unexpected. Plus, things that are all seemingly disconnected right up to the end all come together and really fits. Parts may be far-fetched, but that is where the sci-fi part comes into play. Plus, there is just enough medical and scientific explanation to make it plausible. I don't want to say too much. It is a mystery after all. It's much better to get swept away with the story and the characters and it is easy to do in this story. I think Kathy Reichs does a great job in this YA novel and I can't wait for the next due Summer 2011. Can't wait to see what there next adventure brings. I give this book 4 stars.