A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, Book 1)

A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, Book 1) - Allison Pang This is the first book by Allison Pang and she starts right off with a bang! You come into what seems the middle of the story (so I'm hoping for a prequel!) but you are not lost. Abby is still reeling from her mother's death in a car accident and her inability to absolve herself. She finds herself a touchstone (a person who helps those in the other world live in ours) of a powerful elf, Moira, and just trying to feel her way though the maze of manipulation. Brystion, an incubus, comes by to talk to Moira and ends up making himself an intimate part of Abby's life. For Abby, things just start to really unravel from here as she discovers that Moira just didn't take off on business... but she is missing.

I loved this story. However, I did not always love Brystion. For me it was love/hate/love/hate. In the end, I did not like him at all. That does not stop me from wanting the next book in this series. Maybe he will redeem himself in my eyes and I'll be on the love side of that arrogant incubus again. :) I also LOVED the unicorn in this story. Yes, the creature is still on the side of the light, but is anything but innocent. Oh, that little thing had me laughing and I wouldn't mind being a touchstone to such an ornery creature! He was just too "precious" for words. :D I also loved Abby, the main character. Having to push through her fears and deal with her own demons while trying to solve the OtherWold's problems you have to be strong even if she didn't believe she was strong. Often she was the one stepping up with the others floundered.

All in all I give this story 4 stars. Oh, I can't wait to see where this series takes us. I know it's not quite out yet, but I want the next one now! *stamps foot* *Ahem...* Sorry, got a bit carried away. Oh, and I can't forget my evil laugh... hm... I'll do it with a quote:

Brystion stood behind me, his presence raw and heated. It felt sexual, protective, almost suffocating in its power.
"Christ, dude. Turn it down already," I muttered to him. "Or just piss on me and mark your territory and get it over with."
or this one:
I had a naked incubus in my bedroom. With a frying pan of half-cooked bacon and a hard-on. And a unicorn bite on his ass. Christ, this was turning out to be a weird morning.
*evil laugh* Now, aren't you curious??? XD