The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, Book 2)

The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, Book 2) - Clay Griffith Well, you might remember that I reviewed the first book The Greyfriar shortly after my steampunk week because I just couldn't stop reading steampunk! I was excited to get the second book in this trilogy for review. For those that have yet to read the first book I will try, as I usually do, to avoid spoilage. I mean no one wants a rotten book review! ;)

This one was action packed pretty much from the beginning. And although Adele was the main character of the first book, I felt it was more The Greyfriar's hero story. In this one Adele plays a wonderful heroine and even is able to take care of the indestructible Greyfriar! I loved that turn of events. Adele really comes into her own power not only as a heroine but as a woman, and a leader. So for those who love a strong woman lead, you will enjoy this book immensely.

The romance continues within this book as well. Often within books that have characters who cannot see how they can be together, we, as readers, often can see the path on which they could take to become that couple they seek. With this couple I cannot see how they could ever be together on a permanent basis. Too many things conspire against them. I have never come across such a tragic romance before and it makes the tension delectable. You wonder if stolen moments will ever be enough.

In the end, I give this book 4 1/2 stars. It is a trilogy so it should be read in order. If you are a fan of a different type of vampire, fantasy, UF, PNR, and/or steampunk you really should read these books! It has something for just about everyone.