Demons at Deadnight: The Divinicus Nex Chronicles: Book One

Demons at Deadnight: The Divinicus Nex Chronicles: Book One - A & E Kirk The book opens introducing us to the heroine, Aurora. She is described as having long auburn curly hair, blue eyes and impossibly long legs. I admit that last description made me jelly so I was looking forward to hating Aurora. But, no. In the first chapter I see that she is funny, snarky, and a bit goofy. Shoot. I was going to like her. *looks down at short legs* Oh well... ;D

We find that Aurora has a gift... or a curse. She can see demons and they know about her. Why? The purpose? Well, that is part of her adventure. She has at least a couple of allies in which she can confide, but unfortunately, one is a cat and the other is an angel who she cannot get a hold of to answer even a few of her questions. She is thrown into the "protection" of the Hex Boys who have an odd reputation at her new school. Now she just has to figure out if they really want to protect her or kill her. Talk about an exhausting few weeks! This virtual non-stop action turns out to be quite a fun ride.

Now about those Hex Boys. All of them gorgeous ('nuff said... *giggles*)! And this is how I met them in my mind: These boys are jerks! Then: These boys have a reason to be jerks, but still... To my final analysis: Oh yea, I would have totally hung out with these guys in high school. Yep, I'm a believer! There is also a possible romance going on with one of the boys, so those that insist on having your swooning in your adventure will not be disappointed.

This book was refreshing. One main reason? No clichés I've seen around the blogoverse that annoy many of us in the YA genre. No love triangles (and one good joke about them). There is a dance around the romance, but it isn't that hair pulling out kind, but it was fun. The heroine is smart, intelligent, snarky and willing to learn. Aurora also has a family who cares about her. It feels genuine and I swear I'm going to move into that family unit. You will love the INVOLVED parents! Oh and one last cliché I personally hate with a vengeance... no cliffie! Whee! There is a thread that opens up at the end to make you want that next book, but the main adventure in this book feels complete.

I give this book 5 stars. I just loved the fact that it proves you can have a fun book that does not have to bow to cliché. I have been wanting a book like this for a while and I can't wait to see how Aurora grows in the coming series. I also can't wait to get to know the Hex Boys even better.