Spirit's Princess (Princesses of Myth)

Spirit's Princess (Princesses of Myth) - Esther Friesner This is an epic tale about the life of Himiko, a young tribal princess in ancient Japan. The character actually did live, but obviously, her story presented here is total fiction. Still, it is interesting to me to take a historical person many of us have never heard of and make her come to life.

This story is also not one of on the edge of your seat adventure as we often get with YA that has magic within. It's more about how Himiko finds herself. How she grows and finds who she really is inside. It is the journey within and the courage it takes to stand up to those that you love for what is important. It is the difference between living and having a life. This is the reason I feel it will get mixed reviews. It isn't something that will immediately capture you, but will slowly make you a part of her life. Plus, not everyone likes a philosophy type of book as I tend to gravitate toward. Just keep that in mind.

I give this story 4 stars. I found it interesting and philosophically interesting. There is adventure, but it is more the journey of self that matters in this book. I feel this is very important for the books coming after this one. It is that journey that will make her the eventual queen of peace. I will warn you that the ending is abrupt (which I dearly hate) but it will end up making you want the next one to see what will happen. I really can't wait to see what will happen and I know I'll be reading that book as soon as I can get my hands on it.