Targets of Revenge

Targets of Revenge - Jeffrey S. Stephens This is actually the second book in the series, but I did think it was the 3rd. The first book, Targets of Deception was actually the prequel but reads like one of the books in the series. And as I read these in order, it really feels like the 3rd book as past events are mentioned in this book that happened in the prequel. In other words, I personally consider this the 3rd in the series for those that have to read in order. Those that take chances like me, don't have to worry and can read this as a stand alone.

However, if you do read the other books you know why Jordan is seeking revenge and why he is out to assassinate Adina, the all around evil guy. As he nears his target, new information comes to light and Jordan abandons his attempt to solve a new puzzle Adina has given him unwittingly. Now it's up to Sandor and his colleagues to unravel what has happened and what is going to happen. A lot of innocent lives depend on his success.

This book is full of political intrigue as much as the others. The twists in this puzzle keep you on your toes and trying to figure out if you can stay a step ahead of someone who always has a contingency plan. In fact, for most of the book, you think it may not be possible because as soon as you discover one part of the plan, it changes.

Jordan is also a likable character, and he seems to genuinely care for the innocents that get caught in the crossfire. This helps humanize a almost indestructible character, but I admit I would like a bit more. I would actually love to see him be a bit vulnerable. Perhaps he meets a woman of intelligence and falls hard for her. Doesn't even have to be a romance, but perhaps a child from one of his one night stands and even if he can't be a true father, perhaps he just wants to make sure the child is well taken care of and loved. Just something to bring him further down to earth. That usually makes the harrowing parts a bit more harrowing. Especially if there is something major to be lost. Of course this also makes me want to throw the book... but in a good way. LOL His friends do give him some vulnerability, but that would just push it over the edge.

I give this twisty book 4 stars. If you like political thrillers, or good spy stories, do pick up this whole series. I don't think you'd be disappointed.