The Girl with the Iron Touch

The Girl with the Iron Touch - Kathryn Smith I have to admit I was very excited for this book. Emily is one of my favorite secondary characters and so I was happy that she got her own book. That may have ended up coloring my enjoyment of the book. Expectations were just too high. Sometimes you just have to temper that so you can sit back and just enjoy the book.

While I did enjoy the book, I felt a bit let down and felt like Emily was the not the star of the book. While we got quite a bit of her character and her spunkyness, it just felt like something was missing. It felt like the other characters were just competing too much for the spotlight. While I enjoy Finley and Griffin's romance, it actually felt like it got in the way of the action. We had to continually stop and deal with their feelings for each other rather than dealing with Emily's story. I would have just enjoyed it in a book that featured them much better.

I was very happy to have my fave anti-hero back. Jack Dandy was back in his full cocky attitude. Now if a book features him I'll have to really reign myself in in terms of expectations because I enjoy his character so much and really want to know more about this mysterious character. He complimented things well in this story.

Even though I had a few problems with this story I still did enjoy it. I enjoyed seeing Emily come into her own and getting a little more of a glimpse into her character. I give this book 3 stars and am curious where the series will take me next. Hopefully it will have more Jack Dandy and Wildcat. :)