Taste of Darkness

Taste of Darkness - Maria V. Snyder I've reviewed the other two books, Touch of Power and Scent of Magic. Both were well done and I was excited for this book especially since the last book ended on a horrible cliffie. :P I also didn't know that this book was the last and so coming to the end of this book I was becoming horribly disappointed there would be another cliffie. I was wrong. *cheers*

The adventure is the same kind of harrowing always in trouble kind and even Tohon is making waves again. He wasn't as scary as he was in the last books, but if you read the last books you would know why. Still, he still was imposing enough to make you wonder if our heros can get out of their predicament. There are new villains (and a few old ones) but none like the Skeleton King. Oh yea, he was adequately horrifying.

The ending is a bit too easy in some ways, but in others I would say it couldn't have ended much differently. It just seemed that some things were just a little too easily and suddenly dispatched. I think the only way to handle that would be another book, but then you would wonder if it was just dragging out the inevitable. So, while I don't know what would have been perfect, the ending was written well enough that I was satisfied. I guess that is all you can ask. :)

I give this book 4 stars. I enjoyed my time with these characters especially the monkeys, Flea, Poppa Bear and, of course, Avry and Kerrick. I recommend this series to those that enjoy YA fantasy.