Circus of the Damned

Circus of the Damned   - Laurell K. Hamilton This is the third installment in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. As with the other two, this one also had a strong kick-ass woman in the lead. We find out a bit more of Anita and the monsters that exist in her world. There is also a suggestion that Anita has even more power than we have been so far been lead to believe. If this is shown in the next books have yet to be determined for me.

At times her nemesis and lust interest, Jean Claude the master of the city actually bugged me. He knew the way to get Anita to see him as, at least, something more than someone who is her antagonist, but refuses to rise to that level. This also makes sense in the characterization of Jean Claude as he is also seen as egotistical. The introduction to a new love interest for Anita in Richard, will make things either more interesting or more complicated for her life.

There is one thing I would like to say to future readers of this book... if you can't stand to be around snakes, be aware... there are plenty in this book. From mythical snake beasties to images of real snakes. Had to put that one in for my mother. :-)