Dark Lover

Dark Lover - J.R. Ward Ok, I have to admit it. I wasn't too sure that I would enjoy Dark Lover by J. R. Ward. Looking at the cover (I know don't judge, right?) and the title, I thought it would be some cheesy romance novel with a vampire thrown into the mix. Not really my type of book at all. However, I kept reading how people just LOVED this series. So, fine, got a few of the books and picked this one up and started reading.

Here is where I apologize to the author for thinking such a thing. I really enjoyed this book. This is what belongs on a paranormal romance bookshelf. Yes, it is a romance book, but by no means a gushy one (yes, I make words up!). It does contain it's fair share of violence as the brotherhood is a violent bunch. However, the main female character, Beth, is no wilting flower. I, for one, was very happy with that characterization. She was smart, intelligent, and willing to defend what she found important. This is what won over Wrath, the blind king and subsequently allowed him to be vulnerable for the first time in his long life. I will say that the twists and turns in this story were predictable, but it still didn't take away from the story for me.

I very much enjoyed Wrath and Beth's story and I am now looking forward to reading about the rest of the brotherhood. Unfortunately I still feel the same way about the titles and covers. If you are looking for a good vampire romance and don't mind a bit of blood and guts to your story, do pick this book up. You won't be disappointed.