Glimmerglass

Glimmerglass - Jenna Black I got this ARC for free from the Goodreads first reads program. I really enjoyed this book, but I honestly think it was too short. I would have loved to have seen more about Dana's life before with her alcoholic mother because it is such an important topic. Not only that, but you could have understood more deeply her coping mechanisms when brought to life/death situations in Avalon. It just seemed that there needed to be more of a build up, not as to why she left, but how she was able to get through things by herself when it looked like she couldn't trust anyone. I also wanted it longer because when the book ends, I just wanted to read more! Is this really a bad criticism? Not really. I do believe it does touch on that subject well enough.

We also are blind as Dana is as to why she is important and what everyone is wanting from her. While this is deeply frustrating, it makes sense. You get the same sense that Dana must be feeling. This is why I think we don't get to see the intricacies of Avalon politics. We will learn about them as she learns. Plus, even by the end of the book, you are not sure who you could fully trust as Dana is not sure. This is where I believe that her foray into parental alcoholism plays. This is why she is able to cope as well as she does throughout the book. Otherwise, I would have questioned how she could have had her world turned upside down with no one to lean on and still come through in tact, mentally.

So, do I recommend this book? Oh yes. I give it 4 stars and I'm looking forward to the next book in this series already.