The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer

The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer - Lucy Weston The "history" in this story really starts in King Author's court. In this telling, Mordred is the son of King Arthur, and Morgaine was not the rival of Merlin but the lover of Mordred. This historical part plays nicely as it is interesting but does not overshadow Elizabeth Tudor's story. In fact, all but Mordred are either relegated to story, myth, or spiritual helper. Mordred plays a more important role as he is the vampire trying to seduce Elizabeth into joining him and ruling England together as an unstoppable force. Elizabeth later understands that it's not just her crown he is interested in, but her power as a slayer she inherited through Anne, her mother.

As Elizabeth considers his offer she must also weigh the dangers and responsibilities to her people and the court. She must also consider what her mother has sacrificed as well as her attraction to Mordred. Not just as a handsome man, but also to the power he promises to give her to save her people and make England a dominant country.

The language was, I admit, a bit hard to get through as it is quite flowery but told in the proper language of Elizabeth's court. After a bit, you do get used to it and it starts to flow much easier. In fact, toward the middle of the book I quite enjoyed the language. I did find Elizabeth's slayer power to be a bit odd and it just felt a bit out of place. I also didn't completely enjoy her consort, Robin, and found him, at times, annoying. However, he did make complete sense in this book as being her big weakness. You also don't get a complete ending, but it's not really a cliffhanger either. It's just not an ending that gives complete closure and answers all questions. To explain further might give too much away, so you'll just have to shake your fist at me for making you wonder. Lucy Weston really only comes around in the end to explain how this story came into her hands. I suspect Lucy will be telling more historical vampire tales in further books.

Here is an excerpt of Elizabeth considering Mordred and one of my more favorite passages:
"I reach out, taking the hand he offers. His touch is warm, almost comforting, and entirely pleasant. I sense neither evil nor danger. Indeed I feel as safe as I did when I soared in his arms on the night we first met. But beneath the void where fear should be lurks a faint awareness that I see him as I do because he wills it, and that, should his desires change, so shall my experience of him. This genial manner is only one more mask among the uncountable others that he, I, and all of us wear."

I give this book 4 stars. I think if you like historical fiction with a paranomal twist you will enjoy this book.