Red Riding Hood

Red Riding Hood - David Leslie Johnson, Sarah Blakley-Cartwright This is the retelling of Red Riding Hood. It's a retelling I enjoyed. Hm... but what to tell? What not to tell? I will say that after reading the book and since it was based first on the screenplay, the snippets I've seen of the movie seem to follow closely the story with the exception of Father Solomon (played by Gary Oldman). Solomon is supposed to have been someone who was from Moorish decent... so that blew that image out of my head, but I can see Mr. Oldman play the character who tended to be fanatical in his ideals. That is more important to the whole of the story.

Okay, aside from my non-ability to cast the movie I will say that this is the story I would have enjoyed even as a small child. Now, would I have recommended it to children... uh, no. It is made for the older YA and adult crowds, but I would have enjoyed the message in this story more. It ends up being about how we treat those that feel and are different than those of the so-called "norm". It also puts into question what we do when faced with those self-righteous attitudes when it threatens those you know and love as it threatens your own well being. In fact, I loved Valerie since she never seemed to be bothered with self-preservation over the rights of others. My favorite quote by Valerie:
"If the innocent are unjust, I'd rather be counted among the guilty."

I give this book 4 stars and I hope to see this movie and see how it compares to the book. Oh and I should say something about the ending. It isn't a cliffhanger, but it does leave questions unanswered. What is interesting is on 3/14/11 goto http://redridinghoodbook.com/ and you will get a bonus chapter of the book for free. It may or may not give the answer you want. Curious? Pick up the book and find out. *evil laugh*