Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences #1)

Phoenix Rising (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences #1) - Philippa Ballantine, Tee Morris Looking for a steampunk novel? Nothing paranormal (not that it is normal, so relax) but just a good steampunk novel with all the contraptions and fun? Oh, do not look any further... you have found such a book! Oh and it isn't the world that is so good in this book, the main characters are wonderful as well.

The main characters are our intrepid duo, Agent Eliza D Brawn and "Welly" *snicker* Wellington Books the Librarian Archivist (if you please!) of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences. Of course these two were thrown in together and it was bliss hell. They were supposed to learn from one another as to the importance of the job to create a more cohesive unit. Both felt punished. However, coming across one of the unsolved cases inspires Miss Brawn to investigate which brings Welly into the picture. Of course Welly was looking to admonish Miss Brawn, but decides to help her instead.

The mystery they encounter is compelling and keeps you on your toes. What they find is quite the evil plot. One of the more evil plots I have encountered in a book in a long time. Their harrowing escape (?) is worthy of a thriller however throughout the book their bickering keeps things light enough you don't feel buried amongst the rubble. Ah... but to say more would spoil the adventure and I refused to do so. Wait for it... *most evil of laughs*

I give this book 5 stars. This is a steampunk novel in every sense. I love Eliza's wit and Welly's dry sense of humor. I expect more adventures from this duo in the future and I can't wait!