Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet - R.J. Anderson I have to say I loved the first part of this book. Alison believes she killed a classmate and is hiding a secret only her mother knows about. However, trying to piece together the last few days is trying and is especially hard since she found herself locked in a mental institution under strong anti-psychotic medication. As things slowly become a bit more clear we see how Alison perceives the world through her senses. She is a synesthesiate and sees words and sounds in colors and shapes. She was taught to hide this ability and so has no problem seeing herself as crazy as everyone in the institution. However, an enigmatic neuropsychologist, Faraday, comes to visit and she finds out about her ability. For once in her life she can see her self as a "normal" freak. This growth is what I enjoyed.

The second part of the book takes a huge turn that I didn't see coming. At first, I didn't like this turn. I rebelled against it and yet, I read on. I am glad I did. Even though it took me a moment to adjust, I did and I was again compelled by the story. I honestly didn't like it as much, but I still liked the ending to this story. One thing that can be said, is that it is anything but predictable. Oh, am I going to tell you the twist? *evil laugh* Seriously, did you expect a different answer? ;)

I give this well researched story 4 1/2 stars. I really enjoyed it. It is especially good for anyone curious bout the synesthesia experience. It is currently out for the UK audience, but we have to wait unti Sept. 1 for us Yanks. :P