The Lost

The Lost - Caridad Piñeiro This is the first book in a new series by Caridad Piñeiro called the Sin Hunters. It starts with Adam who has no real memory of what happened to him. He was about 4 when he was found and adopted by Salvatore Bruno. He finds he has strange powers that no one around him have so he has been trained to hide them.

The story skips to Adam in his 20's still trying to figure out who he is and what his powers hold. Now, he is a self-made millionaire who still feels very lonely and contained. He spies Bobbie Carerra waiting for her brother after her physical therapy session (she was injured in Iraq) and their auras capture each others attention. They are attracted to one another immediately. However, Adam is attacked in the parking lot and Bobbie comes to his defense. Strange things happen, but Bobbie doesn't back down and Adam just got a taste of others with his kind of power. Questions from this incident bring the two back together.

The mystery of Adam also includes a lot of missed connections and misdirection that almost overwhelmed the story. I was relieved when that didn't happen. I really enjoyed the character of Bobbie. She is scarred heavily and was not that vision of perfection that we often encounter in PNR books. I also loved that she did not back down in a fight and was willing to sacrifice her happiness when it was the right thing to do. I did not connect to Adam as well, but I still really liked him until.... (yea, like I would reveal anything too telling... *evil laugh*) Let me just say he did come around and I enjoyed his character again.

I give this book 4 stars. I think it is a good first book for this series and I really do want to see what happens next.