Handmade Chic: Fashionable Projects That Look High-End, Not Homespun

Handmade Chic: Fashionable Projects That Look High-End, Not Homespun - Laura Bennett Despite the fact the subtitle is a bit insulting to handmade crafts, I was curious. Plus, some people do not like handmade crafts so I was wondering if this would be the book for them. Really all it is about is choosing higher end materials. Makes sense since materials can make the difference in anything that you make. HOWEVER, I think that you could still make things in this book without breaking the bank. Finding goods at Goodwill or things that just don't fit anymore could become material for things in this book. I can see scraps and refashioned products in any of her projects.

There were projects I can see people who read book blogs really liking. For example, there was a book cover made out of leather. This would be not for a general size of book (like mass market) but for a book you are wanting to preserve with a hearty cover.

You could easily buy scraps from leather craft stores.
There are also covers for ereaders. Specifically in this book there are dimensions and specifics for Kindle and iPad.

I do have to warn people who simply hate crafting in fur. The author does use real fur, but if that doesn't bother you, just use faux fur. Honestly, I think it would be easier to deal with anyway. You could make not so costly mistakes that way.

I give this book 3 stars which are all for the type of projects within the book and not the writing. In other words, very interesting projects, but not so interesting that I can ignore the barbs to crafting which I always think should be fun! Being so uptight about your projects kind of takes away that fun for me.