The Taken

The Taken - Vicki Pettersson Okay, how perfect is this book cover for this blog? You know I had to read it. Okay, now that you know I love the cover, now what about the book?

I have to admit that the beginning of this book was a bit uneven. It had it's moments, but did meander quite a bit toward the middle. Also, although I did enjoy both the main characters, I have to admit that it did bug me that their was SO much about her being a "billie" (person who loves rockabilly). I understood why some characters couldn't get over it, but it was a bit much when it came to people who knew her well ... and even from the main heroine, Kit. I felt that is why the pacing of even getting to know the characters was uneven as well.

The other aspect of this book may put off some people who are expecting either a PNR or a UF book and get something else. It does have elements of both, but it really reminded me of something with a bit of camp to it as well as what you might see in a film noir for today. I think the camp was there to help pull this off. Those that aren't used to that might not see the book for it's potential. Sometimes things we do not expect throws us off. I admit it did this to me at first, but I quickly got used to it.

The ending however, is where everything comes together and really rocks. The main mystery is solved, the bad (and I do mean BAD) guys are put away and yet there is a thread that is left for future installments of this series. I personally would love to read the next in this series. Besides I bet the future covers will look so purty here at Books and Things. ;)

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I recommend it for lovers of detective stories with a film noir feel. The book is out today!