Dearly, Departed

Dearly, Departed - Lia Habel A zombie romance? I mean is that even possible? I mean... ew? I have to admit my curiosity was much more than my ew response, so I started reading this book.

I was surprised how easily I got in to this book. It crosses several genres. It was part zombie (duh), Victorian, Steampunk, and Dystopian. Honestly, I didn't hate it nor did I love this fact. I think it would have been stronger to have just been a Steampunk zombie novel (sort of narrowing it down) only because I just could not believe that people were willing to go back to the way of Victorian society and all it's trappings, especially women. That part bothered me but that was more personal and I doubt it will bother others as much as it did me. It wasn't a big bother, but I did on occasion wonder WHY would they even consider it? An explanation was given... just not to my personal satisfaction. It was admittedly my problem and other people may absolutely love this part of the book's world. Despite this, I really did enjoy this world.

My only other criticism of the book is that it had multiple POVs. It did get confusing on occasion. I would read a section and forget that we changed POV and would wonder why someone was thinking "that" until I realized who I was with at the time. I think fewer POVs (I think there were 5 or 6 people we followed) would have helped. I would have loved some of the POVs as novellas in between books. I think that would have really solidified each story and made them all much stronger. I wouldn't have wanted to miss the POV, just have them a bit separate from the whole.

I have to say the most surprising thing about this book was the romance. Seriously... a zombie romance? Yep. I was throughly convinced that Bram was a suitable romantic lead, even with rotting body parts. LOL I'm still stunned at that fact and never thought it would have been so easily possible. I totally doff my hat off to the author for convincing me. Talk about original!

I give this book 4 stars. If you are curious if a zombie romance is possible... if you want to find some of the secondary zombie characters as delightful... if you want something different in the way of a zombie world... do pick up this book. I think you'll have some fun with this world and the characters!