SPOILER ALERT!

Rebel Heart

Rebel Heart - Moira Young This is the second book in the Dust Land series with Blood Red Road as the first. When I read Blood Red Road, I honestly didn't think I'd like it. The writing style was unique and I thought it would draw me out of the story too much. I was wrong and that book turned out to be one of my favorite books of last year. So, naturally I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. Especially when I thought it might feature Jack!

Well, I was wrong. It did have to deal with Jack in a prominent way but he wasn't in the book as much as I would have liked. It was more about Jack's motivations and who he really is in his heart and soul. It's also the beginning journey for Saba to find out what is really in her heart and soul. She didn't have time to ponder that the last time and had only survival on her mind.

With this transition in direction we get frustrated. We want all the details at once and yet it would be too much so we had to wait to figure it all out with Saba. Unfortunately some answers do not come in this book although I suspect they will be revealed in the future. However, we do, in the end find out about Jack so that answer helps us survive any other questions we might also want fulfilled.

The author, Moira Young, also knows how to write personalities in animals. Even if they don't have a lot of time on the pages. We also know that it is a harsh environment and not everyone survives. This kept me gripping at the book a lot, worrying about the animals constantly. Granted not everyone is as bad as me, but I swear I didn't breathe until the end of the book. For those who are like me, slight animal spoiler: Saba's animals are fine. None of her animals dies. :) *end slight spoiler. I know it's not a big spoiler but some people actually like the tension this creates... it's just not me. ;)

I give this book 3 1/2 stars. I was frustrated with the lack of answers, but at the same time I felt it was intentional. This is a transition book. It's Saba's transition, so it works. I'm curious as to the direction the author is going with these characters so I know I must have that next book! Oh and do read these in order. You'll be lost otherwise.