Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #3)

Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #3) - Kevin Hearne, Luke Daniels Audiobook Review:

Another good audio with Luke Daniels again narrating the book. Luke does an excellent job and I swear I've become to hear Atticus's voice as Luke's voice. He also does an excellent job of the other characterizations as well.

As for the story. Hm... well there were, of course, many moments of levity in which I LOL'd. I also had a few moments of geeky happiness with the Spock/Kirk playing Devil and Angel on Atticus's shoulders. I also had that same moment of geeky-ness when my fave line from The Princess Bride (hint: it was said by someone named Inigo Montoya...) was also said. Yes, I did have quite a few of these moments that ended up putting a smile on my face. Not to mention his moments of levity with Jesus (yes, that Jesus). However...

The battle this whole thing leads up to was, from the beginning, an extremely bad fight. Why it came about made sense, but not how. To fight in Thor's territory was quite stupid for a paranoid druid and I just couldn't figure out why he would go without a better well thought out plan. They had time... all involved were quite long lived so why go through it with such poor planing? Still, I do believe that this will set us up for what is to come in the next novels and at least even Atticus felt that his involvement was unwise... even if the realization came too late. Kind of rounds out his character a bit with him making mistakes of this kind. Still, the questions of their plan still make me wonder...

Even though I was very disappointed in Atticus (especially when it involved Freya) I admit I lost some of my shine to his character. However, in a series I find this interesting because people are neither wholly good or bad but are somewhere in between. Perhaps this will give him a bit more complexity to his character. The next books, I guess, will determine if that pans out that way. I will be reading or listening to them as this one ended with a bit of mystery and I have to know what is next.