Notes from Ghost Town

Notes from Ghost Town - Kate Ellison The book starts out as a sweet YA. Two friends who have known each other since they were very little start noticing each other in a new way. Both are embarking on their own adventure, just starting out in life. The sweetness of this beginning only enhances the horror to come. Lucas, aka Stern, is dead a week later and her mother is accused of his murder. In the midst of it all Kate loses all color. Everything is grey and it's not just her circumstances of what is happening around her. It's something as an artist she can't seem to fathom and is afraid she is becoming like her mother, schizophrenic.

This is just the start of the book. Not only do we have the mystery of Kate's illness, but we also suddenly get the appearance of Stark back in her life. Stark's ghost who claims that Kate's mother had nothing to do with his murder. Kate starts looking for clues trying to not only save her mother, but in doing so, she is also saving herself.

As far as how the mystery plays out, I'd have to say I was captivated. I enjoyed the way it unfolded and even how Kate seemed to find pieces of herself at the same time. I would have to say that there was only one loose end involving a lawyer, but even though I noticed, it did not take away the fun of wrapping up the rest of the mystery.

As a side note, I did have one thing that went through my mind about Kate's inability to see color. I thought that it would actually end up making her a stronger painter in the end. She would be able to concentrate on contrasts without the distraction of color. However, I understand why she may not have seen it the same way especially when she was really worried about becoming sick like her mother. Oh and yea.. I'm probably the only one who thought of that while reading the book. What can I say, I'm strange like that. :)

I give this book 4 stars. It's a good mystery that doesn't start out with one but builds as you go on Kate's adventure.