Dare You To

Dare You To - Katie McGarry As many of you know I don't read contemporary YA. I read the first book, Pushing the Limits and just loved that book. The world read very real to me and I was surprised that many people criticized it for not feeling real. As someone who has had friends in the system as well as working with kids in the system for a short time, I can tell you it did feel real to me. Still, as much as I loved that book, I admit I worried that I would not love this one as much. Thought maybe it would suffer from second book syndrome.

Oh but I did love this book! I even loved the fact that it took me a little more than half the book to even like Ryan and Scott. I felt that they had potential, but didn't like the way they treated Beth. Ryan had to prove himself to me and Beth which he does with flying colors. Scott had to stop paving that road to hell and really listen and express himself to Beth. Both had to stop forcing Beth into a mold she either didn't fit into or wasn't ready to try out. Both finally won me over. However, I don't want to say to much more or I'll end up spoiling so much of the book. I figure letting you in on the HEA wasn't a problem since I knew there would be one before I even picked up this book.

I give this book 4 1/2 stars. Ms. McGarry has found a fan in me and is one author I wouldn't hesitate to read any of her contemporary YA books. I can't wait for Isaiah's story which is next.