Gameboard of the Gods

Gameboard of the Gods - Richelle Mead This is going to be a hard review. This book is filled with mystery, the paranormal, fights, political intrigue and even magic. However, what it has little of is plot. Because of that the other aspects of the book often seemed to get muddled and although not confusing, but not clear either. At the same time I kept reading having to know more about this world and the secrets our characters were either keeping or had to find out about themselves.

What was unusual about this book was the world building and character building. In this book it reigned supreme. It was well done and well written, but I can see a lot of people become either anxious or even bored with some aspects of this drawn out build. I do enjoy a good world building so I was able to be captivated by what was presented. It was a world turned upside down and tried to get rid of vices and what some deemed as "dangerous". As with anything that is taken to extremes, zealots reign on both sides of the equation. What you try to get rid of you just create in another fashion. It was an interesting take.

In the end I give this book 3 stars. The writing was wonderful, but I did get frustrated at times wanting the grand mystery supporting the characters solved (it does in the end... no cliffies). Plus, now that the world is established I'm looking forward to the second book in this series. I believe this series has the potential to blow me away. I do recommend this book to those that enjoy a good world building and a unique take on mythology and excellent writing.