A Really Awesome Mess

A Really Awesome Mess - Trish Cook, Brendan Halpin I'm not someone who loves issue books. I do like that they are out there and feel that their presence is important especially to teens. Although I knew this would have some issues I didn't think I would mind it as much. I was right.

I have to admit that at the beginning I did not like the book. Emmy starts off as mean and angry and used a lot of slang in front of adults. Most teens use one type of language to their peers and another to adults. Not only that, but the facility she was put in seemed a bit hokey and a little too good to be true. When I was introduced to Justin, it kept up that same image to me. I just thought I wouldn't like the book.

When we start to get to know more of the secondary characters the other two main characters, Emmy and Justin, started opening up to me and I really started to like them both. As time went on I still didn't love the facility but it didn't bother me. In the end, it was not the counselors who challenged the kids, but each other. Their small group challenged each other and called each other on their B.S.

In the end I give this book 4 stars. I didn't love the beginning, but I did enjoy the rest of the story. I liked how these kids came together and learned how to help themselves. I also liked the theme that it is brave to keep going in life rather than giving up no matter what is thrown at you.