The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black The book starts out almost like a normal contemporary, but quickly turns horrific. I have to admit the beginning wasn't my favorite part and it seemed like it may go the way of several vampire books where the vampire is a predator rather than a romantic partner. I also had problems with Tana. She kept making stupid decisions so I worried that would be the same throughout the book.

I was wrong! Yes! First, let me tell you about Tana. Yes, I was upset with her, but she keeps getting smarter throughout the book. Toward the end her choices weren't about intelligence ("stupid decisions" as she says) but more about fear. She was smart but decided if the only thing holding her back was fear, then go for it. She turns out to be a great heroine! She becomes the smartest person in the book.

I also enjoyed the fact that most of my questions were answered. I thought that we wouldn't learn the background of Gavriel (romantic interest) but we get it in a flashback. In fact I get several answers I didn't expect to get. So, I was a happy camper about that.

There is also a twist in the end that I did enjoy. I didn't see if this one was a standalone or a series, but I'm hoping for a series. One question you are left with in the end and I'd like to see where the author takes it. I know what my vote would be. :D Oh and no, it's not a cliffie. :D

I give this book 4.5 stars. Although it worried me in the beginning I found the book original and fun. I recommend it to those that like YA vampire books with a female who keeps getting smarter. :)