Watcher of the Dark

Watcher of the Dark - Joseph Nassise I've read the other 2 books in this series: Eyes to See, and King of the Dead. I enjoyed both and when I was asked to review this one I jumped at the chance. I enjoy these characters but was a bit disappointed that 2 of my favorite side characters weren't in this one as much. There is a reason explained at the end of the second book... so you can see these books are best when read in order. One book does build upon another.

The cover does look like a horror book, but like the other 2 this one is really more of a UF or thriller kind of book. Yes, there are scary elements, but nothing to scare you but more to enhance the flavor of this world. If you read dark UF, but don't like true horror, you will be fine.

In this story and mystery Jeremiah finds himself embroiled in a plot to take over LA in the magical realm. It is hard to figure out who is good and who is evil in this story, but we get glimpses of who we might trust. However, nothing is certain in this world. There is also a race of sorts to get to one of the gates of Hell which would bring about Hell on earth as well as solidify the person opening it as the one who reigns over the world. In the search for the key we find ourselves with Jeremiah in a bind where there seems to be no way out. I was surprised by this ending. :) Yes, that is all I will say.

I give this book 4 stars. All 3 books have the edge of the seat quality in them. I do recommend this series to anyone who loves a good dark UF/thriller.