The Second-Chance Dog: A Love Story

The Second-Chance Dog: A Love Story - Jon Katz I haven't read Jon Katz's other dog books, but have always wanted to read at least one. When I was given a chance to read this one I was happy to read a dog story that I knew did not have a unhappy ending. In other words, I knew this dog would always have a home and nothing tragic happened to her before I picked up this book. Those that shy away from dog books for this reason, rest easy. :)

This book was really half of what Jon and, his now wife, Maria went through to be together. One of Jon's biggest obstacles was gaining Frieda's, Maria's protective dog, trust. I have to admit, I wasn't involved in the story until Jon started unraveling Frieda's past and he gained insight into being a generous person to the people he loves. After this happened, I couldn't wait to read how things progressed with Frieda and Maria.

My one complaint is really a general one. Whenever someone, especially dog trainers, adamantly complain and decree that dogs should not ever be anthropomorphized, I usually scoff and then roll my eyes. Why? Because you can always catch them doing just that. In the book, yes, I did catch him several times putting human emotion or reasoning to an animal... and sometimes he even caught himself. I mean I do it all the time, but I don't tell people to "how dare you" not ever do it. I mean, they do have emotion, right? :) Anyhoo... at least this wasn't a major part of this book so it didn't get in the way too much.

I give this book 3 stars. For dog lovers you will really enjoy how he never gave up on a dog that seemed determined to never be a part of the farm's life. You will enjoy the dedication he gave to this dog and his, now wife, Maria.