Notorious

Notorious - Allison Brennan We follow Max, a famous reporter who specializes in handling cold cases and finding the truth. In this book we find Max coming to her hometown for a funeral of a friend. She is approached by two elderly people who want the case of their grandson solved which has recently gone cold. She can't ignore the pull of a mystery so she goes on a quest to solve the murder for the couple. While she is there, it seems as if everyone from her past is telling her not to involve herself in a high school friend's cold case. The case her recently deceased friend was accused, something that happened 13 years ago while they were in highschool. One that she had no intention on solving. While she investigates one murder, thoughts keep turning back to the murder of her friend until she decides to solve that one as well. She as well as others in the community have needed that closure for quite a while.

The twists in this book were certainly interesting. I thought the cases were connected, then I thought they weren't.... then I knew who did it, and then that fell through. Wait, was I right in the first place, or was it now one of the 3 or 4 other people I now suspect. Yes, this book kept me guessing until the end. It also involved another mysterious murder which seems to connect all three but yet hold it apart. Will it ever be solved?

I really enjoyed this mystery. At first, I thought I would have problems connecting with Max since she tends to hold everyone at arm's length. She holds people telling the truth in high esteem. She cannot handle anyone close to her who lies. It is a betrayal in her opinion. This close connection to the truth and feeling of betrayal drew me closer to Max rather than further away. It showed a vulnerability otherwise lacking in her character.

I give this book 4 stars. It's a fun mystery that will keep you guessing until the end. I haven't had that happen in quite a while. I recommend it for those that love a good murder mystery.