The Collector of Dying Breaths: A Novel of Suspense

The Collector of Dying Breaths: A Novel of Suspense - M.J. Rose I picked this one up since I have been curious about this series and understand that these can be read as standalones. That was correct. The theme or reincarnation is what holds the collection together and the stories are separate.

In this book we follow alternating POVs of René, Catherine de Medici's perfumer, and Jac the daughter and sister of 2 great perfumers and one in her own right (she does not do it professionally). With René's story we follow what happened to him and what he did right before and during his time in the service of Catherine. We follow his long time obsession with collecting dying breaths in hopes of reanimating that soul into a newborn babe. He finds a formula where the ingredients are hard to find. He thinks he may have stumbled on the elixir to immortal life.

We also follow Jac. Her brother had been poisoned and she is not sure if she is the next target. She starts the arduous task of collecting her brother's things and she stumbles on his last project. The project determined to bring back René's greatest work of reanimating dying breaths. She becomes intrigued and then obsessed when she learns that her brother had his last breath collected. Through twists and turns that also ends up as a murder mystery, she finds the most shocking truth of it all and how everything connects. And that truth is... Yea, right... not going to reveal that. ;)

I give this book 4 stars. I recommend it to those that enjoy a good twisty mystery and a large amount of historical fiction. I really enjoyed the author's writing and I do intend to pick up the other 5 because now I'm very curious. Even with the shifting POVs, it is very readable.