Embers by Karen Ann Hopkins

Embers (The Wings of War Book 1) - Karen Ann Hopkins

Of course I can't start this review without mentioning the cover. Another great cover by Jenny (Supernatural Snark and Seedlings). Of course I jumped at reviewing this book because of the beautiful cover. It also fits the story very well.

I did enjoy all the characters but would have liked a few of the secondary characters fleshed out a bit  more. I would have loved to know a bit more about Aunt Ila especially and her brother who we only see at the beginning of the book. I would also like to see more secondary characters in general with Ember's quest and I have a feeling there will be more forthcoming.

My biggest problem with this book is with her romance with Sawyer. In the human world he is obsessive, abusive, and a danger to Ember and her loved ones. So while she straddled the line between the supernatural and the mundane I had a problem with her gravitating toward him. However, when she was just involved in the supernatural world I had no problem with him at all. It had to do with context. In this world he was a demon and that was his nature. It made sense.

I give this book 3 stars. I did enjoy the writing and once the supernatural world took over I seemed to enjoy it even more. I'm looking forward to the continuation of this series and finding out what happens next.